Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Homemade Holiday Gifts?

Some of my favorite gifts that I have recieved have been "homemade" and I always think about that person when I'm using that particular gift. It not only makes me feel special, but I remember how special they are to me!
So this Christmas I have decided to make it a personal goal to "create" as many gifts as I can for my family and friends. I will try and post some different things as I go along- so you can see my successes and my failures!

So Challenge #1: Infinity Scarf

An Infinity scarf is basically a long tube of fabric with the ends sewn together, so it ALWAYS lays perfect and it always looks good!

The material I choose came from Fields Fabrics: Its "Sophisticate" by Ro Gregg. Its a pretty steel gray with a small, pettite black floral. It will look great with a black or dark gray wool coat!



Supplies:
Lightweight cotton fabric (2 yards.....though you will have lots leftover)
Scissors
Sewing machine
Thread
Hand sewing needle
Iron and ironing board

Directions:
Cut two pieces of fabric 12" X 60". I cut mine at the same time with the fabric folded in half. The 60" is why you need to purchase a lot of fabric, but you will have the whole other side to use for another project.
 
Now you have two long pieces of fabric. Lay them on top of each other (right-sides together) and sew down both long sides, but leave about 3" on each end open. Turn right-side out. You will have one very long tube of fabric with four little sections on the ends that were left open (each of the corners).
 
In the next step, you are going to want to sew the short ends together. Place two of the right-sides together and sew. Then do the same with the other side. You will have two tiny openings on both long sides once your short sides are sewn closed.

Hand-sew the two small openings closed with coordinating thread. You can use any stitch you like.
 
Once you've closed all the openings, press your infinity scarf and your new accessory is complete!

Time it took to complete: 23 minutes (not bad for the first one!)
Total cost: $15.10 ( could be cheaper, but I loved the fabric!)

My first Christmas present is COMPLETE! Yeah - and I didn't even have to fight the crowds at the mall!
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive