Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Crucify and be grateful?

This past Sunday we heard a wonderful sermon based on John 19:17-42.

The pastor explained that in this passage "Love suffers Death!" This text in John reveals the heart of God. No one could make this horrific story up, nobody would kill off their Savior...this is REAL, it really happened... for you and me!

You see the crucifixion really is about Thanksgiving! What?

Ok, let me explain...

Years ago in our family,  we started a tradition of going around the table and saying what we were thankful for.
Honestly,  it's usually this like... "my family, my warm house, friends, family, my clothes, my toy john deere tractor, chocolate milk".. (as you can tell the ages range from 14 months to 63!)
Our answers are always about the physical things in our lives, or maybe even each other...but no one has ever said "the crucifixion"!

Now don't get me wrong, we ARE all thankful that Jesus died on the cross for our sins... but that is usually associated with Easter lunch, not Thanksgiving dinner.

Hello People.....we are missing the boat when it comes to Thanksgiving!
It REALLY isn't about the turkey and mashed potatoes (we can still eat all day long!) or the weird family member at your table!


But, it IS about the crucifixion, about Jesus  giving it all up for us.
We will never know the burden or pain of what Jesus physically went thru on that hill of Golgotha!

We shouldn't feel guilty about His death,  we should look at the cross with gratitude! He has redeemed us!

Without His strength and determination,  I am nothing!
Without His selfish actions,  I would have no future!

I cannot live my Good life....my Best life without Him!

As I go to my table today,  I will be thanking Him for taking my place on that cross.  Thanking Him for His forgiveness and His unending grace.
And thanking Him most of all for His redeeming gift of salvation!

May you all have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive